Yesterday was the 100th running of the Dipsea race. Until about a month ago, I had not even planned on running this year’s race since I’ve been slightly banged up with hip and Achilles issues since February. However I successfully gained entry through the lottery system and then was bumped to Invitational status since I had been so close to qualifying last year. Finally, after reading a great feature on the race in the June issue of Runners World, I became determined to run injured or not. I wasn’t going to set any personal bests…I ran 1:11 last year, so if I could run a 1:20 this year I’d be happy.
So I ran. It was hot and the course tougher than hell, as usual. I walked a lot up the Dynamite and Hogsback and Cardiac sections, and saw the usual trail carnage…some with heat exhaustion, some with hard falls, and one dude who had flown at least 15 feet off the trail and was so deep in the jungle brush that I honestly didn’t believe he could have flown that far off the trail. I finished the race in a respectable 1:16:33 and was very happy with that, and then ran into my long lost Freshman year roommate at the finish. Overall a great day for me. But my stories really are not all that interesting. The real story of the day was about Reilly Johnson of Mill Valley, the 8 year old girl who handed each and every one of us our collective asses by becoming the youngest winner of the race. And she did it in style…by out-sprinting 3 time Dipsea champion, Tamalpan, and part-time Australian residence Melody Ann Schultz to win by 8 seconds (and yes, I’ve already hit Melody up for running club referrals in Australia). As I said last year, this race is bad ass, and an 8 year old girl just proved it in the most anticipated race in Dipsea history…the 100th running. About as inspiring as anything I’ve ever witnessed in running.
Don’t let the smile and pigtails fool you, she’ll take you down and make you wish you never woke up this morning!
------
More pics by Angela.
So I ran. It was hot and the course tougher than hell, as usual. I walked a lot up the Dynamite and Hogsback and Cardiac sections, and saw the usual trail carnage…some with heat exhaustion, some with hard falls, and one dude who had flown at least 15 feet off the trail and was so deep in the jungle brush that I honestly didn’t believe he could have flown that far off the trail. I finished the race in a respectable 1:16:33 and was very happy with that, and then ran into my long lost Freshman year roommate at the finish. Overall a great day for me. But my stories really are not all that interesting. The real story of the day was about Reilly Johnson of Mill Valley, the 8 year old girl who handed each and every one of us our collective asses by becoming the youngest winner of the race. And she did it in style…by out-sprinting 3 time Dipsea champion, Tamalpan, and part-time Australian residence Melody Ann Schultz to win by 8 seconds (and yes, I’ve already hit Melody up for running club referrals in Australia). As I said last year, this race is bad ass, and an 8 year old girl just proved it in the most anticipated race in Dipsea history…the 100th running. About as inspiring as anything I’ve ever witnessed in running.
Don’t let the smile and pigtails fool you, she’ll take you down and make you wish you never woke up this morning!------
More pics by Angela.
(Jamie and Jamie at the start)




No comments:
Post a Comment