So Jamie had a 'business trip' he had to go to in Vegas. Whatever. If you know me, you know my eyes are rolling back in my head. You will see what a stressful business trip he had. Anyways, I told him the only way he could possibly go on this long of a trip was if he took one of the kids. Since Ben is still dependent on me, it had to be Annmarie. I was only half joking when I first had the idea and then we thought, why not. My folks live close enough to Vegas, this could totally work. And it did.
Here is how the trip went down.
They left on a Friday. The day before it rained, so we were stuck inside for most of the day, plus I needed to pack Annmarie and thought we could have a nice clam day at home before she left for her trip. I was wrong. She was manic. Bouncing off the walls excited for her trip. She refused to sleep/rest. Dinner time was a mess. She ended up going to bed with no stories. I understand she was just super excited for her trip, but it was crazy. I kept thinking - leave already. Thankfully, she slept well all night and was behaving well on Friday. When the airport shuttle came to pick them up I cried. Of course I did. I wanted to be going too. Then I remembered the flight back to the states with Ben three months prior and got over that real quick.
I received updates/texts from Jamie.
The flight there went - not so great. I'm thinking this was partly due the fact that I wasn't there and she pushes it with her Dad. On our trip back over holidays she was an Angel on the flights, loves being on a plane. There were two major meltdowns this time. The first being, Jamie let Annmarie watch 'the scene' in the Lion King and she completely lost it. This was after they served dinner and people were starting to go to sleep. I have no idea what Jamie was thinking, but it was his own damn fault. She also only slept for about four hours. Last time slept around eight. Then she lost it again in the business class lounge when Jamie was trying to get her to use the toilet. She wouldn't. They left the the lounge, where walking to the gate and of course then she exclaims she needs to go. Go into the regular bathrooms. Not an option. There were tears...from both of them. Back to the lounge.
She slept the entire way to Phoenix and then the fun began.
They went to the park.
A spring training game!
Don't you just love that above photo.Went swimming.
And the best part - going to see her cousins in So Cal.
What was Jamie doing on his 'business trip' in Vegas. Well, first he checked out a Spring Training game before heading to Vegas.
He ran into Terry. Like one of Jamie's best friends. He was kind enough to give the kids this Monster. He works for Monster.com. One evening while texting with Jamie and I asked him why he wasn't sleeping or working for that matter, he exclaims, but T has an open tab at Tao. He also ran into his cousin, who also happened to be hosting some VIP party at some other club. Really, I mean, really?.
He pretty much ate his weight in Mexican food all day everyday.
On his way back to get AM in So Cal. He went and visited the S's in San Diego.
So in between all that he fit in some meetings, conferences and an awards dinner. And somehow probably more Mexican food. I know he's not telling me, but I'm sure there was an Eddie Vedder concert or something he happened to fit in, because he knows I would completely lose it. As you can tell I don't have much sympathy for business trips, because I don't care what you say - business trips are way easier than real life.The flight back to OZ was a hundred times better and Annmarie did great. Jamie's philosophy - let her watch as much Caillou on the iPad as she wants until she passes out. It worked. It ended up being a great and special trip for Annmarie. She totally did not miss me. Well, she said she missed me, but she was so consumed with attention that it didn't even phase her. She did give me the best cuddle in the world when she arrived home. She is still talking about the trip and I know it won't be forgotten anytime soon.
As for what Ben and I did for ten sleeps? It was almost like being on vacation in your own home. My house stayed spotless. It was fantastic. Seriously, do you know how many times a day I need to sweep the floors. And since Ben can't feed himself or use a bathroom yet, things just stayed clean. Incredible really.
I manged to get a bunch of projects started or completed. Such as starting Ben's baby book, organizing Annmarie's art in a picture book. Cleaned out closets. Took walks to the beach. I hosted a Mum's Group at home. Took a trip to Ikea. Went to the farmers market. Started using Pinterest. Ben and I had a swim date. And more.
It ended up being a good ten sleeps for everyone. Ben and I got to spend some special time together just the two of us. Not sure when or if that will ever happen again. Annmarie got some special time with her grandparents and other family. And Jamie got to pretend he was 21 again. Win win for all.




1 comment:
I am dying to know what "the scene" in the Lion King is.
Post a Comment