Thursday, November 06, 2014

Nine

Jamie and I celebrated nine years of marriage back in September. Jamie was in Singapore on our actual anniversary, but a week later we got away for the night. We headed down the South Coast (a first for both of us) to Jervis Bay. We stayed at Paperbark Camp, a rustic.... sort of glamorous camping type of experience. Let's just say for what we paid, I thought we would have electricity. It was very charming, don't get me wrong, they brought as hot water canteens to make tea and hot water bottles to cozy up with at night and the bedding was great. And the best part, no kids allowed. Jamie actually said at one point, I think it's too quiet.

We drove down first thing in the morning (about a three hour drive). We made it to Jervis Bay and had lunch at a place over looking the bay. The bay is massive, none of of my pictures really capture how big it is and the water is crystal clear. Jervis Bay is popular for it's long white sand beaches.



We checked into our tent.
We explored the grounds a bit.

Very Australian here with the gums, roos and sheep.


We had a great degustation dinner at the camp.
We didn't have any plans the next day, so over brekky we decided to go whale watching. One of the largest whale migrations happens along the east coast at this time, so if we wanted to see some whales live, now was the time.  So I knew there was the possibility of getting sea sick, but the last time that happened was nine years ago...um when we got married (two days before the wedding). But I wanted to do this.

Everything starts out fine, we're primarily in the bay saying hi to sea lions.
Checking out the coast.
Saying hi to more sea lions.

And then BAM! We see a baby whale (in the open sea, not the bay) and this happens really quickly and we don't get a picture, because as the baby starts showing off and the mama whales almost pulls it under and tells it to stop showing off. So at this point the boat kills it's engines and we are just sitting there and probably not more than a minute goes by and I lose it. I'm sea sick. Thankfully, everyone is so into looking at the whales that they really don't notice me (the only person getting sick). Jamie has the camera and the mama whale makes a few appearances. The pictures don't really do it justice. They truly are majestic creatures.


And so my whale watching days are numbered. I'l have to be happy with what I can see from off the coast.

Solid ground. The best.
There you go. Something we'll always remember.
Cheers to nine years.
Love you too much, Jamie
xx

No comments: