Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Kindergarten: The First Day

We started the countdown to Kindergarten at about 10 sleeps, from then on Annmarie was able to tell you how long she had until she started BIG school. She had a six week summer break and while most of it was fun and sand filled, she also got a bit emotional towards the end. Most of the emotional outbursts where over silly events, when things didn't go her way. She's changing and all this is to be expected, but it was and is still hard. I have faith she'll get over it.  It was no surprise then that she was a bit nervous on her first day of school. She was as prepared as she could have been for the day, but she really needed to live it to see what it was all about.

She didn't start until 10:15 am on Monday, so we were all able to take our time in the morning. Jamie worked from home as it also happened to be the Superbowl, so he was nervous - for the game and Annmarie. Annmarie was very proud to put on her uniform and carry her backpack with her new superhero water bottle in tow. The nerves set in right when we walked into the class room. She was immediately greeted by her year six buddy (who saved the day), but tears started to well when I told her it was time for me go. She didn't completely lose it, but there were some tears, however she pulled it together fairly quickly - I was so proud of her.  Her buddy was also quick to console her and tell her that she was sad on her first day of big school, but that she loves coming to school everyday now.

Annmarie kept asking me if I was going to cry like Andy's Mom (form Toy Story 3), when Andy leaves for college. I kept telling her she wasn't going to college just yet and that I was going to see her everyday. But she kept asking - well are you going to cry? I told if her if I cried it was because I would be so happy and proud for her. I ended up keeping it together and just felt some tears as I walked up some stairs to meet Jamie and Ben. The teacher gave me a little nod as I made it up the stairs to tell me she was fine.

She was happy and exhausted when I picked her up. She talked about her buddy the most, they got to eat lunch together. When I asked her what her favorite thing was about the day, she said playing with her buddy. It was also someone's Birthday, so she even had a cupcake on her first day. She was happy.

This morning she told me she was excited to go to school and that she wasn't going to cry. Dropping her off this morning was a success and she walked in like it was no big deal.

So now I'm a school Mum, and man those five years went by fast. Crazy. And while there are times I wish I could freeze time, I'm so grateful that she is healthy, growing and learning.


I told her to jump to work out the nerves.



1 comment:

The GVZs said...

Sigh. Where did the time go??? She looks awesome.