I've gone back and forth on how to write this post. Should I post
anything about the events in Newtown, CT? Should I just post about
Annmarie's happy 5th Birthday party that happened that day? Should I
separate the two - keep them together? I typically shy away form
anything controversial, political, or things that are just too personal
for this blog. But this, this horrible, unthinkable tragedy was part of
our day and it will be remembered. There are no right words. So much
sadness, immense sadness. These are just some of my feelings.
When I initially heard the news my reaction was - NOT another shooting - we are staying in Australia.
I make no apologizes in my belief that no good can come out of owning a
gun. Then the enormity of the situation started to sink in; sweet
innocent children - I was horrified. I sent Annmarie to my
room with the iPad and turned on the news and frosted her cupcakes.
Devastation. After a bit, Jamie had enough and shut the TV off and
walked outside and took a deep breath. Here we are thousands of miles
away and moments from celebrating our daughters fifth birthday - it was
just so hard for me to wrap my head around. We went about getting ready
for the party without speaking much of the events. In fact no one spoke
of it at the party. I think most people here hadn't heard the news yet.
Some mums stayed, others felt comfortable dropping off their children to
our care. The children had a blast at the party they laughed and
squealed and acted out and ate way too much sugar. For most of the them
it was their first time playing mini golf. Others were pros. Obviously,
they had no idea what happened. The party was a great success and
Annmarie loved it. She was a little overwhelmed with all the attention,
but she loved having all her mates together.
Throughout the day I felt a tremendous amount of gratitude, as I still do. I
watched sweet, happy children doing what they do best - having fun. What
happened a world away was beyond belief.
We
are now some days removed from the events and it's still heartbreaking,
it always will be. Then there is the media, the nastiness of the
debating, the division - it all just
sickens me. Living in another country
through something like this and a election has been interesting.
Generally speaking things are not as complicated here. I could
go on about the subject, but I'll stop. I think we can all agree there
is a universal sadness felt everywhere for the dear people of
Connecticut.
I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiments written by a friend of mine. I will not shy away from this event and the
issues that need to be addressed. This matters. I will do what I can.
Going through with this post is a start.
I will post the pictures from Annmarie's Birthday party soon.
Saturday, December 22, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Thanks for posting about AM's party--the sunshine through the rain.
Post a Comment