Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Outside Lands Music Festival

This weekend was the Outside Lands Music Festival in Golden Gate Park. Typically, music festivals (or just festivals in general) and me don't get along. The crowds of unruly people that smell, smoke, push and have no sense of personal space drive me crazy. The inevitable heat (it's always hot at these things). The bathrooms or rather the lack of sanitary bathrooms, I just cringe at having to go into those blue beasts - yuck. Therefore, over the years I have limited my exposure to festivals in general and San Francisco loves festivals, seriously there is one for everything, Beer, Union Street, Oysters, etc, etc.

Anyway, when this years Outside Lands Music Festival was announced I made the conscious decision to go on Saturday. Long gone are the days of Jamie trying to convince me go "it'll be fun honey" is what he would say. He knows better now not to ask because I'll probably say "I'll pass". So when I told Jamie I wanted to go this year, he was like "really", he didn't believe me. And he waited a while before buying my ticket, because he didn't believe that I would go. And he was all "ok, I'll get you a ticket, but prepare yourself, this is a festival, ok, a festival, those things you don't like to go to anymore".

Well, something magical must of happened because I had an awesome time. Here's how it went down.
Here is a great aerial picture I got from the Outside Lands web page. I'm down there with approx 40,000 people and having a good time. Amazing. Jamie couldn't believe how well I was behaving. You can also see where I work in this photo. Pretty awesome, I have an incredible view at work.
We arrived early and met up with Bonnie. She scored an awesome spot on the lawn that we managed to keep through out the day, all eight and half hours of it.

Later that evening Jamie would post to his facebook - "Jamie is shakin it like a monkey baby", in reference to a DMB song. And I thought, aww he's my monkey man. Some of you will get this.

Ok, it's also a Twilight reference. Jamie of course just rolled his eyes when I told him this.

We watched Raphael do a fun Motown set. This is the guy from Tony Toni Tone.
Bonnie sported a bandana, she said it was keeping her cool. I thought she just wanted to re-live the 80's, which is coming back with a wicked vengeance. But that is another topic.

As far as weather goes it only gets to be really hot in S.F. a handful of days a year. Saturday, was one of those days. It was actually pretty hot at our place and Jamie was freaking out because he thought I might just lose it in the heat at the park. But there turned out to be nice ocean breeze that kept me comfortable.

We skipped out on seeing Jason Maraz and met up with some more friends in the Wine Haven tent. After tasting some wine we headed back to the lawn were some other friends were keeping our space. And on the way back, get this, I got carded. I was thrilled. The guy told me he wasn't passing any judgment, but everyone needed a wrist band. When I did give him my ID he started laughing.

Another thing that saved the day was Jamie was able to get into the VIP Visa Signature tent. This place was suh-weet and had incredible bathroom's set-up. Seriously, saved the day.

Most of us stuck around to see Black Eyes Peas. I don't care what people think about BEP, they were awesome. They got everyone grovin. Jamie left towards the end of their set, he said his ears were bleeding. Whatever. I saw him dancing.

After BEP my boyfriend Dave came on.
This guy Carter is always is smiling. It's great. He is a rock star, I mean, what is there to be mad about.

This was my 20th time seeing Dave and the 40th time for Jamie (holy crap, Jamie just counted these up and I can't believe I have seen him this many times...I thought maybe 12, but forgot about 4 Bridge School shows and some others).
This was interesting.
What a day. What a night. Everything came together. Good friends. Good vibes. Good Times!

1 comment:

The GVZs said...

I can't believe you have seen DM 20 times. That's 19 times too many (just kidding). It sounds like a great time. Are you all going to Bridge School this year? I know you have been anti-lawn seats in the past, but I think the kiddos would dig it.